Future Events – Coming Soon
Webinar: Safe Prescribing and Opioid Stewardship Best Practices for Health Systems
Monday, Sept. 25, 2023 | 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Click HERE to access the recording.
The opioid epidemic continues to devastate individuals and families across North and South Carolina. North Carolina saw a 22% increase in overdose deaths in 2021, recording the highest number of overdose deaths in a single year in the state, according to the NC Department of Health and Human Services
. Similarly, South Carolina saw a 25% increase in overdose deaths in 2021 and opioids were involved in 1,733 of 2,168 overdose deaths that year, making them among the main drivers of overdose deaths in the state, according to the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control
Objectives: Health systems can play a crucial role in preventing opioid use disorder (OUD) and overdose by adopting safe prescribing practices and opioid stewardship initiatives. Through this webinar, participants will:
- Learn health system opioid stewardship best practices.
- Learn about Standard Opioid Prescribing Schedules and how to effectively implement them in your hospital/health system.
- Hear from Prisma Health and UNC Health about their opioid stewardship successes and lessons learned and engage in Q&A.
- Find out where to access additional opioid stewardship resources and support through CaroNova’s Online Library for Opioid Stewardship.
Target Audience: Hospital/health system executives, administrators, chief nursing officers, chief medical officers, clinicians, prescribers, quality improvement staff, behavioral health staff.
- Constanza Bacon, MBA – Opioid Stewardship Program Project Management Lead, UNC Health
- Brooke A. Chidgey, MD – Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Division Chief of Pain Medicine, Medical Director of UNC Pain Management Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Douglas L. Furmanek, PharmD BCCCP – Executive Director, Acute Care Pharmacy Operations, Prisma Health | Director, Greenville Hospital System Pharmacy Services and Upstate Clinical Services, Prisma Health
- Kevin B. Walker, MD, FASA – Medical Director, Division of Pain Management, Prisma Health Upstate